Barley Hall was constructed in 1360 is one of the remaining great examples of medieval architecture. It’s original purpose was for the monks of the Nostel priory to use when they were to visit York. An additional wing was then added around 1430.
Barley hall was actually ignored for centuries because of the buildings that have been built around it. It came very close to being demolished until the York Archeological Trust took interest in it and saved it from demolition. The Trust chairman, Maurice Barley, was where the hall has gotten its name from.
From the mid-1460’s to mid-1480’s, the hall was used by William Snawsell. He was, at the time, the Lord Mayor of the area. He had the property restored for it to be appropriate for his position. During the restoration, around 30% of the original woodwork was salvaged. The process of restoring was done carefully so that even now, Barley Hal is a testament to how live of the wealthy was in York in the 15th century.
Richard III Museum
Richard III Museum, a museum found inside the Monk Bar, which is a medieval gatehouse, was built for the sole purpose of celebrating the life of Richard III. He was a English monarch who is very well known even until now.
Richard III was tried on the charge that he had killed his nephews. A mock trial of this event is set in the museum as well. It shows the evidence that was presented in the actual trial and then the visitors are given the opportunity to decide whether Richard III is guilty. The museum also has a prison cell and other exhibits that are all great examples of medieval structure.
Monk Bar, the gatehouse where the museum is located, was built as one of York’s walls. It was built in the 14th century and is one of the tallest wall constructions. It also has a portcullis, a very rare example that can still be seen today. The portcullis was lowered for the last time in 1953.
York Minster has the official name of Metropolitical Church of St Peter in York. It is a wide and large gothic cathedral and got the term ‘Minster’ because it was used by in the Anglo-Saxon era as a teaching church.
The first church to be built right on the York Minster site was just a wooden church that was quite small. It was built in the 17th century specifically for the Anglo-Saxon baptism of King Edwin, the king of Northumbria. The wooden structure was then turned into a stone structure which was then destroyed due to a fire that occurred in 1069.
The Normans then built the very base of what is now York Minster. This began in 1080 and was only completed in 1100. Even then, it was already a very large cathedral. It was then added to, renovated and expanded over the next years by Walter Gray, then the Archbishop. He structure was completed in 1472, and it had the nave, the Quire, the Lady Chapel, the north transept and south transept.
Clifford’s Tower has a very long history. This stone structure is situated on top of a high mound in York. It has been a royal mint and it has been a prison a lot of things in between. In 1322, Roger de Clifford was hung in Clifford’s Tower and the structure got in its name because of that in the 14th century.
The original structure was built as a castle by William the Conqueror and was destroyed by a rebellion. It was then rebuilt and was destroyed a few times. It became a refuge center for the Jews of York in 1190 and lot of the refugees ended their own lives to escape the mob.
If your looking for domestic roofing services in and around York then click the link.